- Building the Next Generation: A Case Study in Resurrecting an Event, Forthcoming – This paper looks at the causes of a resurgence in American youth hammer throwing in order to see what lessons can be learned from such growth at a time when many other countries see numbers headed in the opposite direction.
- Simplifying Bondarchuk, Modern Athlete and Coach (April 2010) – This articles summarizes the basic principles of Coach Bondarchuk’s training methods.
- Teaching the Hammer Throw: How to Get A Beginner to Throw in Just Days, Track Coach (Fall 2010). Track Coach is the official technical periodical of USA Track & Field Association.
- Teaching the Hammer Throw: Perfecting Technique, Track Coach (Fall 2011).
- Rethinking Your Approach to the Weight Throw, Track Coach (Summer 2006) – This article explores alternative approaches to developing top hammer throwers under the traditional collegiate track and field system.
- Sergej Litvinov Jr.
- Justin Rodhe
- Derek Evely (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Mac Wilkins (Part 1, Part 2)
- Jean-Pierre Egger (Part 1, Part 2, More)
- Vern Gambetta (Part 1, Part 2)
- Erik Cadée
- Adam Nelson
- Primož Kozmus
- Kathrin Klaas
- Don Babbitt (Part 1, Part 2)
- Jüri Tamm (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Nick Garcia (Part 1, Part 2)
- Kevin McMahon (Part 1, Part 2)
Training with Bondarchuk
- Sample training program and one month training journal
- Reviewing Volume 1 and Volume 2 of Bondarchuk’s Transfer of Training and how 60 meters is a special number in his transfer of training. His book on periodization are reviewed here and here.
- Simple introduction of adaptation
- In defense of Bondarchuk’s training style
- About Bondarchuk’s background (more here)
- Bondarchuk’s personality (more here).
- Bondarchuk’s sense of humor
Other Training Methods
- An introduction to Hungarian Hammer Training
- About the legendary Hungarian coach Pál Németh (more here)
- Westside Barbell’s Conjugate Method
Hammer Throw Technique
- A big picture approach to hammer throw technique
- Most common technical problem in America
- Perfecting the start of the throw (more here)
- Pushing the hammer
- Some of the paradoxes in coaching technique
- Some thoughts on technique by Sergej Litvinov Jr.
- The orbit of the throw
- An introduction to special strength
- Sample special strength exercises
- Using light and heavy hammer to develop special strength (continued here)
- Some of the down sides of throwing short heavy hammers (continued here)
- Discussing the volume of special strength (more here)
- Implementing special strength into training
Biomechanics and Data Analysis
- A brief introduction to the biomechanics of the hammer throw
- Biomechanics lessons from Koji Murofushi
- An analysis of when hammer throwers hit their prime
- A breakdown of the height, weight, and age of hammer throwers at the London Olympics
- An analysis of qualifying results at past Olympics and World Championships
Hammer in America and Youth Throwing
- The scope of the problem in American hammer throwing
- Discussing how special strength, technique, or lack of youth throwers may be causes
- Discussion of talent identification and how to predict success of young throwers
- A look at why American youth hammer throwing has improved so quickly and what others can learn from that